Monday, September 28, 2009

Where Will My Help Come From?

So, let's review some of the questions from this week's homework and share our responses. (To share your answer or comments you can just click on # comments below this post.)
"What five tones or words would you choose to describe the psalmist's state as he approached God?" I said: needy (Psalm 40:17, 86:1), overwhelmed and fainted (Psalm 142: 3), gratitude and awe (Psalm 144)
"What does Psalm 142:1-2 give you permission to do?"
"A skillful song, or a didactic or reflective poem, of David; when he was in the cave. A Prayer.
1I CRY to the Lord with my voice; with my voice to the Lord do I make supplication.
2I pour out my complaint before Him; I tell before Him my trouble."
God gives us permission to cry to Him. To ask for Him to meet our needs. To pour out our complaints before Him and to share our troubles with Him. He gives us permission to be real, to not hide behind a mask of perfection. (Of course after we express all of this to Him, He also gives us ability and permission to then let it go and lay it down (pour it out in the sense that then the cup of complaints is empty) before Him...)
In my distress I called out to the Covenant Maker and Keeper and the Covenant Maker and Keeper answered me!
"What connection do you see between taking an uncertain journey and wanting a reminder that your covenant LORD is the uncontested Maker of heaven and earth?"
It gives me comfort to know that God made the earth, so I can feel free to move about it without fear. He protects me and who better to protect me in a journey than the Creator of the place that I travel? PROTECT...PROTECTOR...Do you think He's trying to tell us something? I love the use of Genesis 2:15. God tends, guards, and keeps us! "Do you have any current need to have those truths ("The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore. Psalm 121:7-8") hammered into your head, whether concerning your own life or another of God's children? If so, what is it?"
"How does Psalm 91:4 depict the closeness of God's shelter?"
"[Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler."
His shelter covers me. It us under His wings that I trust and find refuge. His shelter is closer than close.
"What parallels from Ephesians 2:11-22 apply to lessons you learned about the peace of Jerusalem?"

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I missed the video last night. (I had gymnastics duty with the kids last night while my husband hung out with the men watching the game at church.)

    I'm really enjoying the study. The greatest challenge to me so far has been going face-down everyday. I have only done that in times of great need. But I love the idea of starting everyday like that. It really helps get me in the right frame of mind.

    "What five tones or words would you choose to describe the psalmist's state as he approached God?" I said Joyful (66:1), Fear (16:1), Awe (19:1), Thanksgiving (105:1) and Love (116:1)

    "What does Psalm 142:1-2 give you permission to do?" Complain (I'm good at that!)

    "What connection do you see between taking an uncertain journey and wanting a reminder that your covenant LORD is the uncontested Maker of heaven and earth?" Since He made the heavens & earth, NOTHING is out of his scope or ability. No matter how many wrong turns I take - He won't lose me.

    "How does Psalm 91:4 depict the closeness of God's shelter?" We are under His wing - I love the imagery of that.

    "What parallels from Ephesians 2:11-22 apply to lessons you learned about the peace of Jerusalem?" Jesus is our Jerusalem and we are the 'bricks' that make the city.

    ReplyDelete