Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rahab: A Horrible Life Redeemed

Don't listen to the unbelief of the pessimists rather than to the promise of YHWH. Even when the others thought that the situation was grim, Joshua and Caleb listened to God and they were "enthusiastic" about it! The other spies relied on logic, while Joshua and Caleb knew that God would do what He said He would do, that He is bigger than even our biggest fears.
Rahab knew just from witnessing God's interactions with the Israelites and from what He spoke to her heart that He is real and powerful. I love the dissection of her action of lying. MacArthur points out that what Rahab did was not right. She acted on her own "logic". She thought that she had to lie to get the king's representatives to leave. She didn't know God very well at that point and she didn't know that He could conquer the situation without her. But that was okay. God still acted in the situation. He didn't leave her alone and hopeless just because she made a mistake. That is so encouraging to me! I can't tell you how may times I have tried to use my own logic to solve a situation that I should have stayed back and allowed God to handle it. Don't get me wrong, God gave us intelligence and wisdom ("The reverent fear and worship of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom and skill [the preceding and the first essential, the prerequisite and the alphabet]; a good understanding, wisdom and meaning have all those who do [the will of the Lord]. Their praise of Him endures forever." Psalm 111:10) and He wants us to use it. He speaks to our hearts and minds and tells us how to handle situations. But He also tells us when it is time to lay off of a situation and allow Him to be big and glorified in an all Him way. We don't have to compensate for what we think He isn't doing. God's timing, while not always comfortable in the moment, always leads to the best for us! "...Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit [of Whom the oil is a symbol], says the Lord of hosts." Zecheriah 4:6
His divine grace redeemed Rahab and it has redeemed you and me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thus the reason for and the importance of meditation / prayer time. It is so easy for me to go thru the day on "logic drive". I have to rein myself in to a quiet place daily to "check in" and make sure that I am acting within and from spirit. A good reminder to us all. Have an awesome week everyone.
    Abundant blessings.
    Marjy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! God gave us our logical minds, but not to use in place of His Spirit and guidance. I have to be careful of that too! Not by wisdom or might, but by His Spirit!

    ReplyDelete